Right-click on covers to open in a new tab
When looking at an item record in Vega Discover, patrons should be able to right click on titles to open in a new tab (e.g., in the list of You May Also Like, Related Resources, Topics, etc.). Right now, patrons have to click on the title to open the record, see if we have it and where it's located. If they want to look at another title, they have to use the back button then wait for the page to refresh again, scroll down, and repeat.
-
Kathryn Brew
commented
I believe it is the categories coming from Syndetics Unbound that won't open in new tabs. I agree that the inability is frustrating as a patron, and the inconsistency could be confusing.
-
Vanessa Gempis
commented
From one of our staff members:
When you are looking at an item's page and it has the categories underneath like Reading Level, Related Resources, Topics, You May Also Like, etc., I've noticed that some categories allow you to open items in a new tab, but others don't. For example, Related Resources and Topics will let you open items in a new tab, but not Reading Level or You May Also Like (see attached).
These categories only let you open the image in a new tab, and right-clicking submenus like "check availability" just brings you to a new page searching for the item in the catalog as if you left-clicked it.
If you left-click "Browse by reading level" under Reading Level, a pop-up menu appears where you are also unable to open items in a new tab (see attached). If you left-click "Browse by reading level" and open up a new tab, the new tab is the catalog homepage.
If you left-click "See more recommendations" under You May Also Like, a pop-up menu appears where you are also unable to open items in a new tab (see attached). Again, right-clicking the "check availability" submenu in this pop-up menu will bring you to a new page searching for the item in the catalog as if you left-clicked it. If you left-click "See more recommendations" and open up a new tab, the new tab is the catalog homepage.
It would really improve the catalog if all items could be opened in a new tab, no matter what category they are under.
-
Vanessa Gempis
commented
I just spent more time than I'd like to admit trying to open titles in a showcase and then the showcase itself in a new tab. I know my way of browsing isn't everyone's, but I do know a fair number of people who prefer to open things in a new tab rather than having to open something, hit back, then find your place in the list again.
-
Grace
commented
I think the way Innovative has item records set up doesn't make sense to the average user. I know when I click on a hyperlink to see what other books a person wrote, it just takes me to a general page about the author with their works. HOWEVER, what I really want is the hyperlink to take me to a page where I can see the person's books, and their availability.