Idea Exchange

ILS - Sierra

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

23 results found

1. If a computer is logged into the SDA with a set of credentials that do not allow access to Data Exchange, the system prompts the user to login with appropriate credentials. When the user logs in with the elevated credentials, the SDA does not function properly. The Data Exchange dropdown list is unavailable for the newly elevated user. The user has to completely log out of the SDA in order for Data Exchange to work. I believe this is a bug in the system. If elevated credentials are prompted, then the functionality should work after the login. Otherwise, do not…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2. Staff members not authorized to delete item records are currently allowed to do so when deleting checkin records. This should not be the case.

If a person who does not have permission to create item records attempts to create an item record as part of the checkin process for a serial, they will be prompted for override credentials in order to do so. This should be the case (especially!) with deleting item records as well. That is, when someone without delete items permissions attempts to delete a checkin card along with its attached items, it should prompt for override credentials…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. We are using Talis Aspire as our Online Reading List.

We are looking for ways to synchronise module code and module name data from Talis Aspire with our library catalogue so that we can easily identify whether a book on our catalogue is on a reading list.

Attached please find the example that captured from other library.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Product Management has reviewed this request and determined that this idea is too narrowly focused to be included in the product roadmap.

This idea will be archived for future reference.

4. Convert current Sierra print templates for spinelabels to something like what is available for email notices in LX Starter. We need an easier, more user friendly way to customize spine labels in Sierra. It is way too cumbersome and time-consuming with current print templates in Sierra and requires a third party application.

Idea Value
    This will benefit the already-crunched for time and resources for Acquisitions and TechServices teams as well as PublicServices and ultimately benefits Patrons.

39 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This idea has been reviewed with Engineering. The development of a replacement system for printing spine labels (and potentially other forms used in Sierra) would require resources that have been committed to other projects in the near-term roadmap. 

Product Management will archive this idea for future reference and may re-evaluate this enhancement for a later release.

5. Make the management of Options, Settings and Preferences operate the same way as Applications, Permissions, Workflows and User Groups, where you can drag and drop users, making it easier to set these globally.

Today I had to disable the cover images being displayed in all of our user accounts. Had to click in one-by-one, go to their Settings > Display and uncheck the box, "save," and do this for over 50 user accounts. It would be so much easier if I could have just selected/dragged all our users over to this setting, much like I do for permissions, etc.

While…

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This idea has been reviewed with Engineering. The architecture of the Admin App makes this idea difficult to implement. Product Management will archive this idea for future reference.

6. Would like Sierra to flag/make it obvious when there are issues with linked accounts. Ideally, when you insert a message in one linked account, you then have the option (yes/no) to apply that message (insert it) on all linked accounts. Same for when you delete a message that has been applied/added to all linked accounts.

If it's a serious issue (billed item, large fines remaining after billed items, etc.), we apply a family block, which acts as an alert to staff to look at the details of linked accounts. For other cases, we use the message field to note something…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This idea has been reviewed with Engineering. Although the ability to manage messages and blocks across linked accounts would have benefits to patrons and staff, the ability to keep these messages and blocks synchronized across linked accounts would be very difficult.

This idea will be archived for future reference and may be reconsidered for a later release.

7. It's quite easy when entering data into varfields across the record types of Sierra to inadvertently include some trailing spaces, particularly when cutting and pasting text. I don't believe there is any value in retaining those excess spaces and they can cause problems with various tasks such as SQL searches and global updates if those invisible characters are not accounted for.

I'd like to suggest that whenever text is entered into a varfield and the record is saved, that a right trim is performed upon that field to remove any trailing spaces.

Idea Value
    Excess spaces and they can cause…

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This idea would need to be refined to be implemented in Sierra. The idea would need to be implemented on a system-wide basis and thought would need to be given to whether there are use cases where trailing spaces would need to be retained.

This idea will be archived for future reference and may be re-considered for a future release.

8. Many libraries depend on zip/postal codes, city, prov/state metadata to make financial and library service decisions. No subfields in the address field can be verified. The postal code has some verification, but the record can be saved if that field is not entered correctly. We would like the option to make the CITY, PROV/STATE, and POSTAL CODE/ZIP data verified, and to have a description beside each "expanded" address subfield to guide staff on how to enter the data.

Idea Value
    Libraries should be able to verify the address subfields (like the city, prov/state, and postal/ZIP code).

Analytic tools (even Decision…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We do see the value in incorporating address verification functionality but believe that this would need to be a broader initiative that takes LX Admin and Polaris into consideration.

I will archive this idea for future reference and it may be re-considered for a future release.

9. What if you could send an email to all the Sierra users with a given permission? Like everyone with access to Global Update, or Data Exchange, or Print/Send Orders.

Idea Value
    This would allow a system admin to communicate directly and easily with all the people using a particular feature. For example, I'm working on a project now cleaning up saved searches in Create Lists. I could email everyone, but I know that a lot of people are not on Create Lists, and don't want that email. Right now, I don't have a good way to contact just those people.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This idea has been reviewed with Engineering and would require a large effort to add emails to staff user accounts and create a way within the Admin App to select a group of users and send them a message. 

Although this idea would benefit staff users, Innovative doesn't have the capacity to include this development in the near-term product roadmap. It will be archived for future reference.

10. In the web-based Admin App, currently you need to click on the edit button in order to open a user record. However, that button is hidden at first and only appear once you have expanded the entry in the browse to see the list of associated applications and workflows (which personally I never need to see from this screen).

This very much fits into the category of pet peeve but that extra click is not at all necessary and it would be simpler and save some screen real estate if that hidden edit button were removed and the username were…

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In accordance with the Idea Graduation Workflow guidelines agreed upon by Innovative and IUG, this idea has been closed because it was submitted more than two years ago and has not been selected for inclusion in the product.

This idea is still available for commenting but is no longer eligible for voting.

Ideas that were submitted three or more years ago are archived for future reference.

11. Our libraries would like a second option regarding the price copied from the order record to the item record. Currently, the option to Default "Copy EPRICE to item" is available, but if the library wants to use the actual price from the invoice, they have to input the price manually. If there were the second option in the login settings: to "Copy Invoice Price to item," this would allow staff to use the actual price and the convenience of this shortcut to reduce the amount of time it takes to create item records. We envision this as an option in…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In accordance with the Idea Graduation Workflow guidelines agreed upon by Innovative and IUG, this idea has been closed because it was submitted more than two years ago and has not been selected for inclusion in the product.

This idea is still available for commenting but is no longer eligible for voting.

Ideas that were submitted three or more years ago are archived for future reference.

12. Currently, the Sierra message that you're checking out a book that's on the holds shelf for someone else is almost identical to the message that someone has a hold on the title at a bib level, and it is extremely easy for harried, hurried staff to skip right over the more important message, that they're accidentally checking out the book to the wrong person, because they think that the message is not important. I would like a way to either differentiate those two messages in Sierra to be more clear, or to eliminate the message that says the book has…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. When exporting data from Create List, it would be useful to be able to include subfield delimiters in the data.

Idea Value
    Sometimes I want to export data so I can search and manipulate the data in another system like Excel or OpenRefine. However the Export Records function leaves out subfield delimiters. So for example 020|a and 020|z become exactly the same in the exported data.

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. I've found the ability to save complicated global updates on the server for reuse to be a huge time-saver. But I recently needed to delete a couple of the updates saved on the server and was suprised I had to contact Innovative to do that. It would be great if that was something we could do ourselves!

Idea Value
    I don't mind contacting Innovative for help and in many cases prefer their assistance! But in this case it seems like if we can create these saved updates, we should be able to delete them ourselves or at least edit the…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. This is connected to Paul Costa's idea "Check for Due Slip Delivery Method Change Before Closing Patron Record" (link). Many patrons, probably most, have a consistent preference about receipts -- either they almost always want one printed or they almost always don't. (Or prefer to have it emailed.)

What if we had a field in the patron record that recorded this preference, and when the patron record was opened for checkouts, the print receipt button defaulted to the patron's preference?

The field would default to "no receipt" when the patron record was created. I'd want input from others on whether…

31 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Currently, Sierra goes by the delivery method selected before the last item is scanned, instead of when a user clicks the Close button. Having recently changed to not automatically print due slips, we are still working on asking patrons their preference before scanning items, but will often forget until all items have been scanned, which is too late. The workaround of using the Print Table option is less than ideal, as it doesn't follow our print template for Due Slips. As far as my knowledge goes, it also completely cuts staff off from the option to email the due slip…

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. I want to be able to create a load profile that will default to use review files when loading.

Idea Value
    I have record loading projects that always need the Use Review Files function, but I don't always remember to check the box. It would be useful if I could make a setting in the load profile that would check the box for me, so I don't have to remember.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Bib level holds should be allowed on bibs with non-viable items if there is an active order record attached. Currently, this is not possible, and there is no way to configure for this. There are a number of ways to configure the (many) places dictating holds and what can be held. But at the moment, none of them allow the hold (without a staff override) if the only remaining item is non-viable (missing, lost, etc.)

Idea Value
    It doesn't make sense to me that holds are allowed on bib records with only an order record, but as soon as that…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Provide data for tracking Sierra users (library staff). For example, log sign on and sign out dates and times. Perhaps add a "Last signed in" date field to the user record. Other data points might also be worthy of recording, such as types of records accessed.

Idea Value
    Given that libraries handle possibly sensitive personal data, system users who have access to such data should be trackable. Currently, it's not even possible to find when the last time a user has signed on to the system.

36 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Currently Sierra offers the option to email the patron due date information. We use courtesy notices via email as a backup notification of due dates. We would like the option to email the checkin slip as well. We always offer the option to print a receipt upon checkin, and may patrons appreciate that, but have often commented that it would be more convenient to receive the checkin confirmation via email instead of being printed on a slip of paper that can get lost.

Idea Value
    Email is easier to search and archive, whereas a paper receipt is prone to getting…

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?