Idea Exchange

ILS - Sierra

JUMP TO ANOTHER FORUM

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

47 results found

1. Currently, Sierra only allows the "Public View" of a bib record to direct you to one of the public catalogs. Libraries with Vega Discover and/or Encore have to choose between WebPAC or one of the more enhanced public catalogs. It would be nice to be able to view both to check how bib records are displaying, especially since Discover only updates once a day.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. I understand that III is planning to incorporate AI functionality into the Vega platform (newsletter text, website content, etc...). I think it would be really useful to have AI data cleanup functionality developed for Sierra.

I'm not sure exactly what this would look like but here are some potential ways this could improve catalog metadata:
    - catalog record cleanup (bad codes, incorrect codes, codes inconsistent with local practices for similar records, etc...)
    - patron record cleanup (bad codes, codes inconsistent with similar-type accounts, etc...)
    - automatic tagging of demographic (we use one of the patron codes to indicate reciprocal library…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. In Headings Reports, it would be useful to send only selected listings to a printer or to export as a new review file. Currently if you try to select only a few of the total shown, it will print or export the entire report, not the selected listings.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Searches of Innovative databases that contain authority records using Z39.50 search do not return authority records.

The ability to search for an authority records would contribute to the quality of the database and make it easier to generate linked data.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. There are instances where its appropriate to put in a MARC field in the bibliographic record that only pertains to your local institution and you wouldn't want that field erased if the record was overlaid. If that MARC field was designated a local-note, using a $5 then that field would be "protected".

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Our library uses the icode1 field as a statistical category code. We'd like to be able to define our icode1 values, with codes and labels stored in Sierra and visible to staff. Currently we keep a list of codes and their meanings stored in a shared drive and have to share it with our cataloguers. Staff can see the "stat category" field in item records, but there's no translation anywhere in Sierra and the userdefinedicode1_myuser SQL view is blank.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Idea Description
    If system generated review files could appear in Global Update/Rapid Update Review File dropdown list without even downloading them to Create Lists first that would save so much time.

It's a normal part of my daily workflow to upload records using Mobile Worklists or Data Exchange, copy them into Create Lists and manipulate the file in Global or Rapid Update. 

Idea Value
    With the file appearing in the dropdown list in Global/Rapid update, the file can be manipulated as usual AND users wouldn't have to remember to empty the Review File (which was only created so it could…

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Idea Description
    Fix the URL Checker "print" option to email, which can be useful to embed URLs and forward them to work on offline, but the columns on the report break the URLs and the report is useless since the full URL is forced to break based on a fixed pre-determined length of column.  This would help both interactive / custom reports as well as a larger report of the list of errors. In example provided, anything not underlined in "blue" that wraps to a second line is a broken URL that will not launch.  

Idea Value
    Value is high…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. As a library worker using the Sierra staff client, when I have a review file open or selected, I want some navigation that will take me directly to Global/Rapid Update to work on that review file.

Idea Value
    I am constantly creating review files then editing them in Global or Rapid Update. This is a big part of my job. I don't know how many times I've gotten to Global/Rapid Update and I can't remember the number of the list I'm working on. It would be great to have navigation in Create Lists that would take me directly to Global/Rapid…

33 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Idea Description

Currently within create lists there is a option to add records to a list that can be accessed when viewing the contents of a review file.  This opens a search window where you can then pull up a record and add to the review file once you've found what you're looking for.

It'd be nice to open up this function and make it accessible outside of Create Lists such that from any record you can click on an "add to list button", which would bring up a window of existing review files of the relevant record type and…

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Idea Description

Create tools for managing the hidden review files that are created by the system or record loading.  Being able to see the list of hidden review names, record numbers, dates, would be great for system housekeeping.  Being able to bulk delete the review files many of which are from record loading would be even better!

Idea Value

This idea would go a long way to helping system administrators clean up the review file section of the system.  The currently method of having to copy them is clunky at best.  Deleting them one at a time is even clunkier and…

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Libraries with varied types of media in their collections require more location information associated with items than a shelfmark. We would like to see a Current Location field as standard in the item record. This field must be included in the data libraries for item paging notices as retrievals staff will need this information on retrievals lists/slips.

Idea Value
    To record the exact location of items within the buildings, which will facilitate retrieval of less standard items or special collections items that are not easily stored in a standard sequence. Current location data is essential for museums accreditation.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. When exporting MARC tags, export should have all the subfields marked. Now that I try to export say 041, I can´t see if the language code is in a, b or d... And this would be important to know as it is not the same to have say |a fin |h eng and |a fin |a eng.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. When you increase the font size to 20 for cataloging, it enlarges all the other information except the title line which remains the same. As a result, the title line appears smaller in comparison to the other information. It would be great is the title also displayed in the larger font.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. When a user is in the Cataloging workflow, the "Due Date" column in the "Item" view is sorted as a string instead of a date, eg "1-01-2023" comes before "9-01-2021". It would be helpful for this to be sorted as a date and match the sorting of the "Due Date" column in the "Holds" view.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Customers want to know what titles they've checked out even if the library no longer has it. It would be ideal if Sierra (and subsequent discovery layers can pull the info) could save the title and author in the record metadata so that even if the bib record is deleted, the customer can see it.

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Could we please have the 'Verify Heading' functionality developed to apply to call numbers in item records?

We used the 'Verify Heading' option for call numbers on item records for a long time since Millennium, that bug is fixed in Sierra 6.0. Now that feature only on bibliographic and authority records.

(Refer to Solution ID:230706091757100 )

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Can we please have a function to merge bib records? For many reasons libraries end up with duplicate bib records. Currently the only way "merge" a bib is to manually transfer any attached records one by one. This is a cumbersome and inefficient workflow.
    The functionality could work similarly to the Merge duplicate patron record functionality.
    This would allow the user to select the source record bib number and the destination record bib number.

Ideally, the function should:

-Include the option to transfer any attached records.
    -Any item or bib level holds attached to the source bib should also be…

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. The "import records" within Create List was a game changer. But going a step further would be adding the ability to direct scan barcodes into a review file. This would save time in circumstances where you have only a few records you need to update.

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. It is currently an option to be able to set the default view of an item record across Sierra. However, it would be nice to be able to have a different default view set for the different functions in Sierra.

For example:
    When in the Circulation function - I'd prefer the default view to be Hold.
    When in the Cataloging function - I'd prefer the default view to be Item.
    When in the Acquisitions function - I'd prefer the default view to be Order.

I understand that I could just have multiple windows open and set the default view differently…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?